Monday, September 8, 2008

Coxsakie Who?

What a miserable night we had last night. Apparently Brooke got Hand Foot and Mouth Disease (Coxsackie)from some unknown child! Who are you???? Read below...



By: Randi A. Sperling, D.O.
Hand Foot and Mouth Disease is a common pediatric illness caused by a member of the enterovirus family known as Coxsackie A16. The peak seasons are summer to early fall. The Incubation period is usually 2-6 days and the virus is very contagious.

Symptoms usually begin with:

Low grade fever, malaise and loss of appetite.
Lesions usually follow in 1-2 days. The mouth lesions usually appear on the lips, gums, soft palate and anterior tonsils. They start off as small vesicles and progress to yellow ulcerations with a red surrounding halo. The hand and foot lesions appear most commonly on the palms and soles and in between the digits fingers and toes). They appear as gray vesicles on a red base. It is not uncommon to see lesions on the buttocks as well.

The mouth lesions may be mildly painful with the child not wanting to drink. The skin lesions are usually not painful, but occasionally itchy. The vast majority of children recover within one week.


I felt so bad for Brooke. The symptoms just started yesterday so I am guessing maybe someone had it on Saturday...we went to a first birthday party. I can't believe it would catch that fast! We had to go to the emergency room last night because she was dozing in and out from such a high fever 104.7. It was pretty scary. She was still a bit in a funk this morning but called home and mom said she was acting better today. My little love bug was not a happy camper!

5 comments:

Lady Lif said...

OMG Bless her little heart! Poor thing!!! How is she feeling now?

Anonymous said...

Poor little Brookie!!! Keep her away from those other grubby little kids!!! (just kidding.... sort of)
Hope she is feeling better. And I hope you and Scott are Coxsakie free!

Anonymous said...

My poor little girl. I love you Brookie!!!!

Anonymous said...

I hope she feels better and that you and Scott get some rest. Did the icicle work??

Anonymous said...

I hope she's feeling better.