Thursday, January 28, 2010

Stay Calm-Take a Deep Breath

So I have had to tell myself this with Brooke's new little "thing". What is the "thing" you ask? Why,its a noise. It can be a snork of sorts or maybe a growl. It depends on the mood but whatever the case it is a sound instead of a verbalization of what she needs, wants or is thinking. I have had some people say maybe she doesn't know what she is doing or how to express herself. To this I tell them then why does she say to me, "Agh", then smile and say "Agh, Do you like this sound mom?"

This has even overlapped into school. The teacher said that she asked Brooke if she had to go to the bathroom and Brooke answered "Aghh" (this is a very throaty sound- I would ask her to do it on video but I'm sure that would promote it!)I have been ignoring the sound. I will turn my head and make like I don't even hear it. I praise anything else she does positive or when she is 'speaking'. To me this is a total attention type thing. I really just want to scream "Stop making that crazy sound!!! Talk for GOODNESS SAKE"... That's when the stay calm- take a deep breath comes in. What do you think?

BTW..she is in the other room doing it to her friend right now...AGHHHH Someone please help!!!

6 comments:

Chrissy Lif said...

Did i hear you say AGHHHH all throaty at the end???? I wonder where brookie gets it ;-). For what its worth, I think you're doing the right thing ignoring it.

Eva used to do something very annoying and odd as well. She would bubble up spit on her bottom lip and suck it back in when it was just about to fall. Gross right. She did it for a good 2 months. I left it alone and it eventually stopped.

Daddy said...

Yeah - she knows what's she doing alright. I don't know where she picked it up or how she learned it, but I agree w/ Mom. It is extremely annoying and we'd like it to stop!!!

Annette@(running)In the Right Direction said...

Okay so I will continue to do my deep breathing. I'm sure my parents had to do a lot of deep breathing as well!

Marie said...

Have you tried saying to her, "That noise is weird and gross and if you keep doing it, everyone is going to think you're a freak, and your face is going to freeze in that position and you'll never be pretty or have any friends?"

JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!! lol....

But seriously. Did you tell her, "Mommy doesn't understand what that means. I'm not going to listen to you until you use your words." or something like that?

Maria said...

I like Marie's response! haha

I say start doing it with her... she knows that if mommy does it, it's not cool, haha. try it

Annette@(running)In the Right Direction said...

Marie- Yes, I have tried that. A few times. Then I realized, wait I'm talking to a 2 year old here that is getting attention with silly behavior. She is 2 and this is what 2 year olds do. The more I have been ignoring it and the less I have been trying to correct her and make it a big thing...the less she has been doing it. So lets let this be a lesson for the books...whacky noises (unless your child doesn't even realize they are making them) should be ignored.